Sunday, September 30, 2007

Not letting go

Summer just won't go away this year. Not that I have anything against summer. It's just that I'm ready to move on. My autumn wardrobe is hanging in the closet, waiting for a day when the temperature doesn't reach into the '80s. The gardens have been winterized, summer toys are being moved into the attic. But summer just won't go.

I know that in February, when I feel like I'm being smothered by the long dark nights and short sunless days, I'll wonder what on earth I was complaining about back in September when the weather was oh so very July.

But right now I'd like a little autumn. I did my best to pretend this weekend that it was here. I took the kids out apple picking, went to an early Halloween party, and did lots of baking with fall ingredients. Maybe mother nature will take the hint.

:: We were told to eat while we pick - and we did! ::


:: Quinn did her best to keep up with Xander ::


:: Who was able to do his picking from the proper in-tree position ::


:: Cooking up apples to make my mother's recipe for pink apple sauce ::


:: Oh so yummy pumpkin muffins ::


The pumpkin muffins were a modification from Amy's recipe. I set out to make them just as she did, but found myself without several of the ingredients she used. They turned out sooooo good that I think I'll just stick with my modifications.

chocolate chip pumpkin muffins

2 cups flour
3/4 cup bran
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2/3 cups apple sauce (I used my homemade pink sauce)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 can (15oz) pumpkin
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients together. In a different bowl mix the eggs, oil, applesauce and pumpkin. Add the dry stuff to the wet, then stir in the chocolate chips. Bake 20 minutes.

Easy enough. And, I'm really not kidding here, super fantastic yummy.

Since I hadn't felt that all that was really quite enough time in the kitchen (heh. joke.), I went on to make a nice little dinner of scallops, wild rice, and spinach saute to celebrate our 12 year anniversary. We couldn't find a sitter this weekend, so we're hoping we can go out to celebrate a bit more properly next weekend.


And finally, one of the summer toys I haven't put away quite yet are the kids' bikes. Xander has been on quite a project to teach himself to ride sans-training wheels. He really doesn't seem to want our help, he wants to figure it out on his own. He asked Quinn if he could take the training wheels off of her bike for practice since he's less afraid of falling from her bike (it's six inches shorter).

Today, he worked it out and was petaling away all afternoon. Look at him go! Whee!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Felicia said...

I can't wait for fall either! At least the mornings are cool here now even if it still gets up to 90 during the day. I enjoyed your pictures today. Those apples look delicious!

3:38 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

We'll try to have a fall-like day when you are down later this month. I also had planned to make Amy's recipe, but I might try your version instead.

Happy Anniversary!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home