Thursday, June 07, 2007

About Turtles

Have I ever told you about My Happy Turtle? If I haven't then I suppose it's about time I did....

When I was two years old my father took me to a church fair. At this point, I can't for the life of me figure out what he was doing there. I don't ever recall him being in church with us when I was little. Anyhow, we came up to this wonderful table of little stuffed animal turtles made out of old flannel shirts.

I was instantly in love. With the whole stack. When I think about that day now, a couple of versus of Dr. Seuses' Yertle the Turtle tend to play in my head (The turtles, well now, the turtles are free. As turtles and maybe all creatures should be.) But I doubt by the age of two that I had heard that story.

My dad let me pick out a turtle and then probably regretted it ten minutes later when I still hadn't made up my mind. They were all so darn cute. Finally, I selected this green little guy.


Yes, he's having some shell problems now, but give him a break -- he's 33 years old! Frankly, my shell isn't what it used to be either.

The reason I'm telling you this is because about eight years later, Turtley, as I named him (but I referred to him as "my happy turtle") was still living in the most prized position of being on the center of my bedroom pillow, surrounded by about 30 other stuffed animals. One day, I picked him up and took a good look at him. And for the first time in my life I remember thinking, "I could make this."

I sure you remember when that happened to you. One day, you just looked at something and thought. Gee, I bet I could do that.

That very day I asked my mother to show me how her sewing machine worked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home