Tuesday, February 12, 2008

snow day

For the past few days it has been unreasonably cold here in the Midwest. The kind of cold where you have to keep the kids inside all day. The kind of cold where you start to think that maybe your family wouldn't mind eating canned soup all week if that means you don't have to go out to do shopping.

But there hasn't been much snow. Still, every school in the area closed today because of the threat of freezing rain this morning. I'm happy to have a day off from bundling up the kids and getting them out of the house. It's nice to spend an extra day in our jammies staying cozy by the fire.

Plus, I'll have an extra hour and a half in my day since I don't have to drive to and from work and daycare. I plan on using that time to start quilting Xander's leopard quilt. I put together the top over the weekend, and am soooo happy with it so far!


The turquoise is a little bright for me, but Xander loves it. And, I have to admit, I love how it turned out on the applique. It's the first time I've tried reverse sewing the stabilizer to the fabric and then finger turning it before ironing and sewing. Even with all of the curves, it turned out nice.


Also on the 'nice' list this week is this art bag I whipped up for a birthday gift for one of Quinn's school mates. It has a nice little drawstring top and a front pocket. It's filled with art supplies for a creative three-year-old. Pom-poms, pipe cleaners, pencils, scissors, and some glitter glue. I like it so much I'm putting together the same thing for one of Xander's friends party for this weekend.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Jean said...

I LOVE the art bag. it's adorable. the quilt is looking lovely as well.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just surfing around and found your blog. I felt compelled to write and tell you how nice your blog is but even more... I love your daughter's name. You see it is mine. Only I had the name probably 30 years before her when no one (except a boy or two) had that name. I am sure you have special reasons for picking such a lovely name but just in case... you can tell her that the name means the 'wise queen' after a celtic queen whose was very wise and kind with the family name of Quinn.

And the best part of having this name is that (at least for me) when you hear someone call your name you can be pretty sure that they are calling you, not someone else.

Sorry for the crazy note but I just had to share from someone who has been carring a unique name for years.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Pretty Ditty said...

You're sew crafty. I love both the quilt and the art bag. Beautiful choice in fabrics.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home