Sunday, January 20, 2008

totally cheating


Last week I was feeling a little lazy. This happens a lot in January. Once the holidays are over we seem to get hit with an obnoxious twenty degree drop in temperature and snow. The snow would have been festive in December, but in January it just serves as a reminder that we have at two more months of winter to get through and I start to feel, well, lazy.

So, I spent a lot of time last week on the couch with the TV on and a nice wood fire going, glass of red wine in hand, reading blogs. While purusing The Purl Bee I came across a link to their echino line of fabrics and found this great patchwork fabric (Kokka Fabrics Echino Red Squares 95000-500/b14). The perfect project for someone feeling lazy - a fake patchwork quilt!

I ordered a yard and then was off to the fabric store to get some kona cotton for the backing and the strippy binding. The binding I pieced together from four different colors of fabric (okay, that part wasn't lazy).

Then, I just quilted the layers together by "stitching in the ditch" between the squares of the printed top layer. Viola! The totally cheating quilt! I still have to finish sewing the binding on, but I want to take the whole thing over to Lynn's place so she can show me how to correctly hand stitch a binding. The finished quilt should be up here in the next week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

LOVE that fabric! Can't wait to see the finished quilt...

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea Heidi, I just finished the top to my patchwork and I can never get all the square perfect.
This would be a great way to go.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home