Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Pardon our Dust


It all started when I asked my brother, Mike, to cut down our headboard so it wasn't so tall. When we pulled the headboard away from the wall we learned that the window had been leaking for who knows how long, and that the plaster was ruined underneath.

Usually, i don't run into these problems until I start taking down the nasty thirty-year old wall paper in our house. Which is exactly the reason I was content to live with the horrible blue and pink flowers in our bedroom. I knew the moment I started to take it down I'd find some huge problem (like we did in the other two bedrooms) and would end up gutting the room and putting up drywall.

So, here we are gutting the room and putting up drywall. We could have done just the one damaged wall, but my brother and I have the same philosophy about these kind of things. So instead of a small patchwork job, we're getting new drywall, new electric (it just makes sense to update that old knob and tube while the walls are done), a new drywall ceiling (it would be weird to have a plaster ceiling with drywall walls), new handmade wood crown molding, window trim and baseboard (because we're not going to but the ninetly-year old original trim back up when it's all beat up and has been painted about 20 times already), and reworking some ducts so the fireplace stands out better. Okay, that last one is purely cometic.

Also, when I say 'we' I really mean Mike. Lord knows Kevin and I don't know how to do this kind of stuff ourselves.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home