Monday, August 07, 2006

Quilt Monday



On a recent trip to visit my mom, I discovered this old log cabin quilt in the linen cabinet. I remember my parents having this on their bed when I was a kid. I took it down to take a look at it and instantly remembered how much I loved it. I asked my mom about it and it turns out that it was made my great grandmother. Even more interesting, is that my great grandmother used old trousers from the men in the family for the entire top of the quilt! Those guys wore some pretty crazy trousers back in the day.


Anyhow, the quilt is in pretty desperate need of serious repair. A couple of the pairs of trousers have totally disintegrated. The backing is loose, and some of the squares seem to be coming apart from each other. I have no idea how to tackle a project like this. I have a friend whose mother-in-law is a quilter, so I’m going to send her some photos of the damage and see if she can help. I’d love to have some fabric from pants used by my dad and husband included in the repairs.

My mom said that if I get the quilt restored I can keep it. Yea! I want to get it into good enough shape that I can put it out on my bed and enjoy it, just like I enjoyed it as a child.

1 Comments:

Blogger My Happy Turtle said...

Thanks! I was surprised then I took it out at my mom's house. I didn't remember it being so nice!

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home